Gold is a noble atom, hence it does not react with any other metal present in the body. It is a soft and yellowish-colored metal which a chemical symbol of “Au”. It is very famous for beautiful ornaments and has been for centuries. But, do you know that gold is edible and has been used since ancient India and Egypt for medicinal and beauty purposes. It’s health and beauty benefits of eating gold cannot be denied.
Is gold edible and can be used in food?
The simple answer is yes! 100% pure gold is edible and nowadays is used in many desserts, cakes, and dishes in the form of gold leaf or gold dust. In fact, gold-covered chocolates are very popular in many countries.
Gold flake supreme vodka and drinks are very famous in New York. Also, gold leaf is used in restaurants to decorate fruits and salads and it looks amazing.
Now let’s talk about some amazing benefits of eating gold, based on scientific evidence.
The information is provided from 100% "Trusted source."
Health benefits of eating gold
1. Significance of gold in Ayurveda – Swarna Bhasma
Swarna (Gold) bhasma has been utilized as a therapeutic agent in the traditional Indian ayurvedic medicine for treating disorders such as asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus, and the nervous system. Swarna bhasm is usually recommended to be consumed by mixing honey, ghee, and milk.
A study published in the International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and pharmacy in Feb 2012, concluded that swarn bhasma has the following amazing benefits;
- Regulating hormonal imbalance.
- Improving symptoms of fatigue and weakness.
- Prevent cancer.
- Can help to treat skin disorders such as eczema.
- It can brighten up the skin complexion by purifying the blood.
- It has amazing benefits for women and can strengthen the uterus.
- Gold has amazing benefits for treating lung disorders such as asthma, and chronic cough.
- Can treat certain types of fever, such as typhoid.
- Boost immune system.
- Is very beneficial to treat Gonorrhea.
- Upper respiratory infections.
- Strengthen bone, joints, and muscles.
- Can treat post-menopausal symptoms in females.
- It is used to form certain types of chamanprash.
Certain studies were done to test the toxic effects of gold consumption and were considered safe.
2. Significance in Homeopathy
A homeopathic remedy Aurum Metallicum is made up of gold and has amazing health benefits. It is very beneficial in treating chronic headaches, migraines, throat pain, tonsillitis, burning pain in the stomach, anxiety, and depression.
Also, it is used to treat the following conditions;
- Relieves pain and congestion in the head.
- Helps in preventing ulceration of the gums.
- Provides relief from burning pain and eructation in the stomach.
- It helps in curing irregular heart palpitations.
- Provides relief from paralytic and tearing pain in joints.
- Helps in reducing anxiety and depression symptoms.
The medicine should not be consumed without a doctor’s advice.
3. Gold to prevent Rheumatoid arthritis
Many medicines which are used to treat rheumatoid arthritis contain gold chemical salt. In fact, it includes injectable gold salts such as aurothioglucose (Solganal) and oral auranofin (Ridaura).
An article from the Handbook on the toxicology of metals (Fourth edition, 2015), states that gold salt inhibits phagocytosis (cell eating) activities. Gold salts have been used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis since the 1930s.
Consuming gold, in the form of gold leaf in a controlled amount can also prevent the development of rheumatoid arthritis (auto-immune disorder).
4. Improved brain function can even prevent Brain tumor
An article published in the International Journal of Neuroscience revealed that gold has some amazing benefits to boost cognitive functions. Also, a review published in Biomed Pharmacother, concluded that gold nanoparticles are very effective in the prevention of CNS infections.
An article published in Nursing Times stated that tiny nanoparticles of gold into the brain can kill brain tumor cells. It was also mentioned in the article that gold releases certain electrons which damages cancer cells and enhances the effect of chemotherapy drugs.
However, scientists are researching in any way in which gold nanoparticles can be used to treat various brain-related diseases.
Consuming gold in any form, can prevent the development of cancer in the body and can boost memory function.
5. Boost immune function
Gold nanoparticles are known to have an impact on human B Lymphocytes and immune cells responsible for antibody production. A research article published in Immunological properties of gold nanoparticles concluded that gold particles can boost immune functions.
In fact, a study published in March 2010, states that gold is used in gene therapy to control the symptoms of immunocompromised AIDs patients.
6. Gold can keep the heart healthy
Gold has amazing anti-oxidant properties and can boost heart health. Consuming gold in little amount could remove accumulated plaque in the blood vessels.
However, there is not much evidence to support the following, one should always consult the doctor before consuming it if he or she is suffering from serious health conditions.
7. Health benefits of eating gold for females
You might have seen females wearing gold jewelry, especially in India. There are various benefits of wearing gold ornaments. When we wear gold ornaments, some nano-particles of gold keeps releasing on the skin surface. Here are some benefits;
- Regulates body temperature and can prevent hot flashes.
- Can help in wound healing.
- It keeps the aura clean.
- Gold can inhibit or prevent the growth of viruses or bacteria on the skin surface.
- Also, it can boost the endocrine system.
Consuming gold in the form of gold leaf or gold dust could be beneficial for females suffering from hormonal disorders. It can regulate hormones. A research article published by the Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences revealed that gold has some amazing benefits to boost the function of the ova and the fertilization process.
Some evidence also revealed that consuming gold in large doses by females can have toxic effects also. Moreover, the scientific benefits of both benefits and toxic effects are still very little.
Gold can be eating as a supplement in moderate amounts but excess of everything is bad.
8. Treatment of sexual disorders
There are many supplements available that can boost sexual function and can be very beneficial for men suffering from premature ejaculation. Some evidence says that it can boost sperm activities. In Ayurveda, gold ash is used to boost sexual function for centuries.
Some evidence also revealed that ancient kings used to eat food and drink water in gold utensils which helps to prevent sexual issues. Gold is also known to boost stamina and relieve fatigue according to Ayurveda.
9. Benefits of gold for skin
Consuming gold in little amount can help in proving glowing skin. It purifies the blood by removing toxins from the blood can prevent skin disorders. Some ancient scriptures state that Cleopatra used to consume gold and apply gold on her skin to boost her beauty.
Gold facial and gold-infused skin-care products are famous in many countries. A gold facial can have the following health benefits;
- Prevent wrinkles.
- Stimulate skin cell repair.
- It can prevent pigmentation.
- It can lighten skin complexion.
- Boost collagen production in the skin.
- Can treat inflammation or allergies.
- Improve blood circulation and provide a healthy glow to the skin.
- Treat sun damage.
Can I consume gold during pregnancy?
There is no research conducted yet to prove the benefits of gold during pregnancy. However, consumption should be avoided during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
How can I consume gold and it should be consumed in how much amount?
Gold is a heavy metal and if heavy metals are taken in excess, it could have a toxic effect on the body. However, due to the nonreactive nature of gold, it does not react with an enzyme in the body.
One can consume water kept in gold utensils overnight or put a gold ring or something made up of gold in water and charge the water with gold. It will boost your immunity slowly. Also, it can be consumed by eating a gold leaf or gold dust.
What are the side effects of eating gold?
There are not many side effects or adverse effects reported till now on the consumption of gold. However, excess of everything is bad. One should consult their physician before starting consuming anything if he or she is suffering from any health conditions.
So, now you know very well about the benefits of eating gold!
- 6 Best brands of apple cider vinegar available on Amazon in 2021
- 11 Easy tips to balance Pitta dosha – General characteristics and health conditions
- Achieve your fitness goals faster by knowing your ayurvedic body type
- Debina Bonnerjee decodes 5 best face yoga and ice therapy to treat acne and pimple